Big Data Risks and Rewards
0. MAIN DISCUSSION POST BY TUESDAY 03/30/2021 BEFORE 8:00 PM EST
0. TWO REPLIES BY FRIDAY 04/02/2021 BEFORE 8:00 PM EST
Discussion: Big Data Risks and Rewards
When you wake in the morning, you may reach for your cell phone to reply to a few text or email messages that you missed overnight. On your drive to work, you may stop to refuel your car. Upon your arrival, you might swipe a key card at the door to gain entrance to the facility. And before finally reaching your workstation, you may stop by the cafeteria to purchase a coffee.
From the moment you wake, you are in fact a data-generation machine. Each use of your phone, every transaction you make using a debit or credit card, even your entrance to your place of work, creates data. It begs the question: How much data do you generate each day? Many studies have been conducted on this, and the numbers are staggering: Estimates suggest that nearly 1 million bytes of data are generated every second for every person on earth.
As the volume of data increases, information professionals have looked for ways to use big data—large, complex sets of data that require specialized approaches to use effectively. Big data has the potential for significant rewards—and significant risks—to healthcare. In this Discussion, you will consider these risks and rewards.
· Review the Resources and reflect on the web article Big Data Means Big Potential, Challenges for Nurse Execs. – Please see attached article
· Reflect on your own experience with complex health information access and management and consider potential challenges and risks you may have experienced or observed.
1. Post a description of at least one potential benefit of using big data as part of a clinical system and explain why. 2
2. Describe at least one potential challenge or risk of using big data as part of a clinical system and explain why.
3. Propose at least one strategy you have experienced, observed, or researched that may effectively mitigate the challenges or risks of using big data you described. Be specific and provide examples.
**At least 3 references** – one of them form the article for the resources.
**THIS DISCUSSION IS DIVIDE IN TWO PARTS