Urinary Incontinence Case Study
Ruth Olson, a 74 year old female was recently diagnosed with urge urinary continence. This is caused her a great deal of distress. She was recently started on a first line treatment regimen for the management of urge urinary incontinence. She reports dry mouth since starting this medication.
- What are non-pharmacologic treatment strategies for the management of urge urinary incontinence versus stress urinary incontinence?
- What pharmacologic treatment is used first line for a patient with urge urinary incontinence versus stress urinary incontinence (be sure to include, at a minimum, drug name, dose, route, frequency)? What other treatment options exist? Why did you choose your treatment option over other available options (if applicable)?
- What is the mechanism of action of EACH selected pharmacologic agent in #2? How does the mechanism of action of EACH medication correlate with the physiology/pathophysiology of urge urinary incontinence and stress urinary incontinence (respectively)?
- What are the most common adverse effects of EACH selected medication in #2?
- What is the cost of EACH selected treatment option in #2?
- Discuss pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of EACH selected pharmacologic agent from #2 (be sure to include, at a minimum, onset, peak, duration, half-life, etc).