Alcohol Use Disorder Case Study – 2B – NUR 6103 Case Study Group 2B
No unread replies.No replies.
Irving Olson, a 75 year old male comes to see you today for follow up. He has a history of emphysema, for which is very stressful. Ruth, his wife, tells you he has been drinking alcohol for years! He usually drinks about a bottle of wine per day.
- What are non-pharmacologic treatment strategies for the management of alcohol use disorder?
- What pharmacologic treatment is used first line for Irving for the treatment of alcohol use disorder (be sure to include, at a minimum, drug name, dose, route, frequency)? What other treatment options exist? Why did you choose your treatment option over other available options (if applicable)?
- What is the mechanism of action of the first line regimen selected discussed in #2? How does the mechanism of action correlate with the physiology/pathophysiology of alcohol use disorder?
- What are the most common adverse effects of the pharmacologic agents discussed in #2?
- What is the cost of the first line regimen selected discussed in #2?
- Discuss pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the first line regimen selected discussed in #2? (be sure to include, at a minimum, onset, peak, duration, half-life, etc).
- What education would you provide Irving for the first line treatment discussed in #2?