understanding EOBs from the insurance company
What resources are not available equally to all economic classes in your community?
- Do most insured people you know read and understand EOBs from the insurance company? What do most patients understand about costs of services?
- How do perceptions differ in your community about quality of care at a private clinic. With specialized services in an affluent neighborhood versus the public safety-net hospital? What seems to drive those perceptions?
- Do people from poverty in your community have a voice in decisions making when new systems of care are designed for their intended benefit? Does that make sense? Why or why not? If you were designing a healthcare clinic for women. To what extend would you want to hear from women about the design, services etc?
- What did I think about when I went through the healthcare checklist? What kinds of emotions or judgements did any of the statements bring up for me?
- How might having a knowledge of the hidden rules when communicating with a provider, family member, caregiver, or patient/client help improve a treatment plan?
- If all providers had a better understanding of each patient’s resources as presented in this chapter, how might the healthcare delivery outcome be improved? Or not?