Smoking and vaping
Preparation for Practice Assignment
Case Study Part 1: Smoking and vaping are identified as significant problems in a nearby community. Different county agencies and the school district members are meeting and working together to try to reduce the number of high school students who are smoking/vaping.
The next 3 questions refer to Case Study Part 1. Use your readings and the Intervention Wheel as resources.
1. This meeting is an example of what type of public health intervention? (1 point)
2. This is an example of what level of practice? (1 point)
3. The PHN brought information to the meeting about local and national laws/ordinances related to the sale and distribution of tobacco and vaping products. An action plan was developed to write a policy brief regarding accessibility ordinances to products for the under 21 age group. Sending this policy brief is an example of what level of practice? (1 point)
The interdisciplinary team
Case Study Part 2: The interdisciplinary team has decided to recommend a national age appropriate stop smoking/vaping education curriculum to be implemented in all high school and middle school and grade school health classes. The curriculum focuses on evidence based education regarding the health risks of tobacco use, nicotine addiction, and vaping. This is an example of primary prevention at the community level and is a start. The team knows that a successful plan requires interventions at all levels of prevention. They are looking for 2 interventions (in addition to health education) to use in their smoking/vaping cessation campaign at the high school. The next 3 questions are referring to Case Study Part 2.
4. Give an example of a secondary prevention intervention (for those who have tried but not regularly using tobacco/vaping) at the high school community level and explain how it addresses the issue? ( 2 points)
5. Give an example of a tertiary prevention intervention (for those with regular use/ addicted to nicotine) at the high school community level and explain how it addresses the issue. (2 points)
6. Who are possible members of the interdisciplinary team at the high school that could plan and/or carry out the interventions for Part 2? How might the school nurse work with these team members? (2 points)
multiple public health interventions
The final 3 questions are about the Latent TB/Omaha System Case Study you viewed on the content page. The PHN utilized multiple public health interventions at the individual/family level in this example. Answer the last 3 questions.
7. Describe how the PHN utilized Surveillance. (2 points)
8. Describe how the PHN may utilize Counseling and how that differs from Health Teaching. (2 points)
9. Describe how the PHN may utilize case management if missed appointments start occurring. (2 points)
Submit your answers to drobox by due date in the course schedule.