Quality of Health Care & Government Oversight Body Narrative
(minimum 250 words)
What are the primary ways that quality of health care is assessed? What are several ways that quality of health care is measured? Identify several groups that work to assess and improve the quality of health care.
For this assignment, write a narrative essay (minimum 1500 words) in which you address and discuss the questions and statements listed below. Use at least four scholarly sources and remember to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the READ and ATTEND sections in your essay. Cite your sources in APA format.
1. Refer to Your Opinion Matters: Who Should Determine Medical Quality—The Profession or a Government Oversight Body? In chapter 14. Can a provider and patient make quality decisions together, or must a third party intercede?
2. Address the tension between government regulation and reimbursement of health care and the decisions patients make with their physicians regarding treatment.
3. Identify and discuss the characteristics of federal and state governments that make regulation anti-competitive.
4. Refer to Vignette: How Do We Determine Care Is of High Quality? in chapter 15. What are some of the factors you would address to determine whether Amy is providing quality care? How would you measure the kind of quality she produces?
5. How does prescribing unnecessary medication increase health care costs? What are some other negative consequences?