Week 01 Discussion: Organizations Influencing Health Policy
Using the website above, select an organization from each of the three categories:
- Federal Agencies,
- Association and Organizations,
- International Organizations, Associations
that has a role in influencing health policy. For each of your three chosen sites, describe the organization’s chief purpose and give one example of a policy it has influenced. (Hint: visit the organization’s website.)
HSRIC. (n.d.). Key organizations. NIH, National Library of Medicine.
- Bodenheimer & Grumbach,
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Blumenthal, D. (2006, July, 6). Employer-sponsored health insurance in the United States — origins and implications. The New England Journal of Medicine, 355(1). (Library Link)
- Familiarize yourself with:
HSRIC. (n.d.). the National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology(NICHSR). NIH, National Library of Medicine.
Study these key timelines in Health Care:
- Healthcare-Now! (n.d.). History of Single-Payer Legislation.
(review timeline chart)
- Institute of Healthcare Improvement. (n.d.). History of the IHI.
(review timeline chart at bottom of article)
Week 02 Discussion: Value-based Healthcare
Consider the information from your readings and videos about incentives for improving quality while lowering healthcare costs. What are the potential benefits and risks of a value-based system? Consider this discussion with regard to patient care, provider incentives, and the overall financial impact of our healthcare system. Give at least one example of how a patient may be helped or harmed under a value-based system.
Bodenheimer & Grumbach,
- Chapter 4,5,6
- MLN. (2017, Sept.). Hospital Value-Based Purchasing (PDF).Medicare Learning Network.
- Diabetes and Value-Based Care – Second Opinion (video).Films on Demand. (Library Link) https://fod-infobase-com.library.norwich.edu/p_ViewVideo.aspx?xtid=185207
- (watch Segments 5,6,7,8 within the video. Video is 30 min, 4 segments are 3 min each)
- CMS. (2020, July). Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs): General Information (video 6 min). CMS.GOV. https://innovation.cms.gov/innovation-models/aco
Week 03 Discussion: Evidence-Based Healthcare
Select two of the High-Burden Health Conditions targeted by the CDC in the 6/18 Initiative, and discuss the Evidence-Based Interventions for each. For one of the interventions, identify at least two stakeholders you would partner with to implement the strategy in your community.
Bodenheimer & Grumbach,
- Chapter 3
- IHI. (2019, Feb.). Triple Aim Model (video 3 min). Institute for Healthcare Improvement -IHI.
- Population Health Training “What is Population Health”. CDC
- What is Population Health? AJPH. (Library Link)
- CDC.org. (October 4, 2018). CDC’s 6/18 Initiative. CDC
- Medicaid and Public Health Partnership Learning Series. (n.d.) Public Health and Population Health 101. ASTHOS.