Obesity as A Health Issue & Regional Epidemic Cardiovascular Diseases
Research Paper #1:
Please, review the following case study. The following questions with guide your research paper.
Lorrie is 16 years old and 75 pounds overweight. Her father is a school bus driver who was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Her mother works for a sewing company. She is overweight with high LDL levels. She is taking two antihypertensive medications at present time. At a recent health science fair at Lorrie’s school, a student-led screening clinic documented Lorrie’s blood pressure at 140/92 mm Hg. The family immigrated from Honduras 5 years ago and they do not have health insurance.
community health nurse
During health science fair, the following data was recorded: 55% of the students with BMI 25.0 to <30 and 15% of the students with BMI 30.0 or higher.
Consider yourself a community health nurse.
(The research paper is not a question-and-answer document / format. Use the following questions as a guidance for your research paper).
- Is obesity a major health issue in the United States?
- According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NCHS, CDC; BRFSS, 2012), how is obesity defined?
- What is your role as a community nurse?
- What risk factors should be explored for Lorrie’s family for cardiovascular disease? Mention social determinants of health in this case. Incorporate the concepts of health promotion and risk reduction.
- Would you apply any of the behavioral change models to address health promotion and risk reduction in this case (theoretical frameworks of behavioral change / models discussed on Chapter 5 of textbook). Describe your selection.
- Public health nurses use statistics to demonstrate the need for obesity program development and community interventions. According to the most recent CDC data: What data were identified about obesity in children and adults?
- Is there a necessity of planning a community nursing intervention? How will you do that? Will you work alone or in collaboration / teamwork? Will you look for funding? How?
How would you evaluate the community-level intervention
- If you decide to do a community intervention. How would you evaluate the community-level intervention(s)?
- Will you use social marketing to change health behaviors or beliefs, social or cultural norms, or community standards to improve health or benefit society. Which resources will you use?
- Mention research studies that support any of the above (1 through 9) (mention at least 3 research studies in the paper).
- General directions:
- You will submit one (1) paper as part of this assignment (individual assignment). 2. Your research paper must follow APA format according to Publication Manual American Psychological Association (APA) (7th ed.). Include a cover page and reference page per 7th edition APA guidelines. 3. The research paper should be minimum of 3 pages (not including the title or reference pages) – maximum of 6 pages (not including the title or reference pages), double spaced, Times New Roman, Size 12, and 5 references related to the topic (3 must be peer-reviewed journal articles).
- research paper:
- Include the following components in your research paper:
- a. Title Page
- b. Introduction
- c. Problem Statement
- d. Population of Interest
- e. Key concepts such as: obesity, social determinants of health, health promotion and risk reduction, role of community health nurses.
- f. Theoretical frameworks of behavioral change / models
- g. Planning community intervention / Funding
- h. Evaluate the community-level intervention
- i. Social marketing / resources
- j. Research studies (at least 3 peer-reviewed journal articles)
- k. Conclusion
- l. References Page