Ethical Decision Making
Case Study Assignment: 5%
Topic: Tyler Shultz and Theranos
Watch the interview video about the Theranos Story.
After watching the video, students should be able to:
- Identify the organizational and personal challenges faced by whistleblowers.
- Reflect upon Tyler’s decision to blow the whistle, in light of the specific organizational and personal challenges he faced.
Provide a 2 – 3 sentence written reflection for the following questions:
- Define “Whistleblowing”
- What personal values would you use to decide your course of action if you were in Tyler’s shoes?
- Describe why some employees decide to blow the whistle, while other employees choose to stay silent.
- Did Tyler follow a Duty ethic or a Consequentialist ethic? Describe why you decided on your answer based on the class teachings on Duty and Consequentialism.
- Thinking about Tyler’s boss, Elizabeth, did she follow a Duty ethic or a consequentialist ethic, and why did you decide that?