As with our prior discussions, active engagement is the key to an interesting and engaging online discussion. So, start with the first discussion question as early as possible, even if you have not yet completed the readings.
We will examine more closely the shifts in our health care delivery system in the module’s discussion.
This week, we are talking about trends and shifts in the health care delivery system through both a systems and organizational perspective. When a health crisis hits, the delivery system at all levels is impacted. Organizations from private provider organizations to hospitals and local health departments are called upon to respond. Watch a 3 and 1/2-minute video on Ebola in the United States: How we got here (Links to an external site.). [Video File, 03:37 minutes.]
Share your opinion:
- What were some of the challenges posed in this video for the health care delivery system? What was the public health and medical provider response to these challenges, and how effective do you think it was?
Your readings discuss a number of important trends in the health care delivery system. Select a trend that particularly interests you; consider about the role of this trend in the emergence of Ebola in the United States and the system response. Discuss the following questions together one at a time, continuing on with each question until you have fully explored it together and then moving on to the next question.
- Talk about the trend or shift you have selected and its connection to the crisis and/or response. What are the major impacts on the delivery system? Which organizations within the system are most impacted? Be sure to consider the continuum of health care delivery as you discuss this question.
- Now, thinking about the trends you have been discussing as a group, which stakeholders were especially impacted? Which were less obviously impacted?
- Let’s now think more broadly about the trends we have been discussing. What do you believe are the root causes for some of these trends or shifts, and what potential resolutions should health professions consider? How might these differ by type of health organization? What are some opportunities for collaboration across the levels of the delivery system? Please consider from the perspective of your degree program emphasis of nursing, public health, or allied health sciences. In this way, we can all cultivate a true interdisciplinary understanding and appreciation of the trends occurring in health care.
Consult the Discussion Posting Guide for information about writing your discussion posts. It is recommended that you write your post in a document first. Check your work and correct any spelling or grammatical errors. When you are ready to make your initial post, click on “Reply.” Then copy/paste the text into the message field, and click “Post Reply.”
To respond to a peer, click “Reply” beneath her or his post and continue as with an initial post.
This discussion will be graded using a rubric. Please review this rubric prior to beginning the discussion. You can view the rubric by clicking on “Discussion Rubric” on the Course Rubrics page within the Start Here module. All discussions combined are worth 35% of your final course grade.
Module outcomes that are addressed in this discussion include:
- Compare and contrast the different types of health services organizations. (CO1)
- Critique the continuum of health services from health promotion to curative care. (CO1)
- Distinguish between primary, secondary and tertiary levels intervention. (CO1)
- Examine the trends, or shifts, currently occurring in the health care industry. (CO1)