3 references not older than 2015
If you are able to do at least one reference from this book will be great.
Eliopoulos, Charlotte; Gerontological Nursing (9th Ed. 2018). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Week 3: Paper #1 Due
The older population in the United States is becoming more ethnically and racially diverse. In addition to racial and ethnic diversity, there will be growing numbers of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons entering their senior years who will present a unique set of challenges. The growing diversity of the older population presents challenges for gerontological nursing in providing culturally competent care.
Essential to the provision of culturally competent care is an understanding of:
- The experiences of individuals of similar ethnic or racial background
- Beliefs, values, traditions, and practices of various ethnic and racial groups
- Unique health-related needs, experiences, and risks of various ethnic and racial groups and persons of similar sexual orientation
- One’s own attitudes and beliefs toward people of various ethnic and racial groups and persons of similar sexual orientation, as well as those attitudes of copractitioners
- Language barriers that can affect the ability of patients to communicate health-related information, understand instructions, provide informed consent, and fully participate in their care
Your assignment is to write a 2 to 3 page paper choosing one of the following groups of older adults and address how you will provide cultural care for this group or the individual:
• Hispanic Americans
•Black Americans Asian Americans
• Jewish Americans Muslim Americans
• Native Americans Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender