Research Critique Instructions
Research Critique Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate your ability to evaluate one quantitative or qualitative nursing research article of interest from any refereed nursing journal. Writing a critical review of a journal article can help to improve your writing and analytical skills. By assessing the work of others, you develop skills as a critical reader and become familiar with the types of evaluation criteria necessary to translating the evidence to practice.Instructions:
- Write a 1-2 pages assignment.
- Choose a primary nursing research article of interest from a refereed nursing journal. Attach a copy of the article.
- Begin your critique by identifying the:
- article’s title
- date of publication
- name of the journal or other publication in which it appeared
- Where and when was the article published?
- In your introduction, you should also briefly describe the purpose and nature of the study and, if applicable, its theoretical framework.
- If the paper was not published in a peer-reviewed journal, consider the credibility of the publication in which it appeared.
- If you are reviewing a research study, organize the body of your critique according to the paper’s structure. Start with a brief description and analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the research design and methodology. For example:
- How does the method reflect other studies of the same topic? (sample, data collection, setting).
- What makes this method feasible?
- How realistic is it? How does the method address questions of validity, does the researcher overcome the limitations of the method?
- Are there large limitations or minor ones?
- How will these limitations affect your ability to use this data to answer your research question?
Describe the results by answering:
- How were the results interpreted?
- How were they related to the original problem (author’s view of evidence rather than objective findings)?
- Look at DISCUSSION. Were the author(s) able to answer the question (test the hypothesis) raised?
- Did the research provide new factual information, a new understanding of a phenomenon in the field, a new research technique?
- How was the significance of the work described?
- Did the reported observations/interpretations support or refute observations or interpretations made by other researchers?
- Describe the significance of the research by answering:
- Did the research make a significant contribution to human knowledge?
- Did the research produce any practical applications?
- What are the nursing implications of this research?
- How do you evaluate the significance of the research?
- Utilize at least 5 cited sources to substantiate your findings or critique.
- Follow APA style rules.
- Visit the following website for suggested guidelines: