The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered. For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned and complete your participation for this assignment by Day 7. To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use resources from the South University Online Library.
As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format. Support your work, using your course lectures and textbook readings. Helpful APA guides and resources are available in the South University Online Library. Below are guides that are located in the library and can be accessed and downloaded via the South University Online Citation Resources: APA Style page. The American Psychological Association website also provides detailed guidance on formatting, citations, and references at APA Style.â€¢ APA Citation Helperâ€¢ APA Citations Quick Sheet â€¢ APA-Style Formatting Guidelines for a Written Essayâ€¢ Basic Essay Template
Begin reviewing and replying to peer postings/responses early in the week to enhance peer discussion. See the rubric for participation points. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing viewpoints with a rationale, challenging aspects of the discussion, or indicating relationships between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Always use constructive language, even in criticism, to work toward the goal of positive progress.
Post your initial response to one of the two topics below.
Sociocultural Norms, Health, and Nursing
Topic 2: Stigma Associated with Disease
Some vulnerable populations may have diseases, health impairments, and pregnancy that bring humiliation and predisposed judgment. Unfortunately, these health conditions can cause vulnerable populations to become ostracized by the general public.
- What ways would you choose to function as an advocate for vulnerable populations?
- Discuss the types of assistance you might provide to each of the following clients from a vulnerable population:
- A 24-year-old pregnant woman who is currently homeless and unmarried
- A 16-year-old girl who has run away from her foster home and who has an IV drug habit
- An immigrant worker whose TB skin test just came back positive
- An employed, married man who contracted Hepatitis B through a blood transfusion 30 years ago