In this Assignment, you will study a recent nursing informatics-related healthcare policy, and you will share the relevant details via a fact sheet designed to inform and educate.
- Review the Resources on healthcare policy and regulatory/legislative topics related to health and nursing informatics.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 was enacted to allow for continuance of health insurance coverage in situations involving job changes or loss. Major provisions of this law were enacted to formulate and regulate federal guidelines and standards pertaining to electronic healthcare. Standards were developed to allow for identifications of providers, health insurance plans and employers, including the National Provider Identifier Standard (NPIS), which provides every physician with a unique number used in all aspects of healthcare.
- Research and select one health or nursing informatics policy (within the past 5 years) or regulation for further study.
The Assignment: (1 page not including the title and reference page)
Create a 1-page fact sheet that your healthcare organization could hypothetically use to explain the health or nursing informatics policy/regulation you selected. Your fact sheet should address the following:
- Briefly and generally explain the policy or regulation you selected.
- Address the impact of the policy or regulation you selected on system implementation.
- Address the impact of the policy or regulation you selected on clinical care, patient/provider interactions, and workflow.
- Highlight organizational policies and procedures that are/will be in place at your healthcare organization to address the policy or regulation you selected. Be specific.
- Use APA format and include a title page, in-text citations, and reference page.
- Use the Safe Assign Drafts to check your match percentage before submitting your work.