Osteoporosis Case Study
Irving Olson, a 75 year old male comes to see you today for follow up. He has a history of emphysema, for which he reports he has taken several rounds of prednisone of the years due to COPD exacerbations. Due to this risk factor, you recently ordered a DEXA scan. The DEXA scan identifies that Irving has osteoporosis.
- What are non-pharmacologic treatment strategies for the management of osteoporosis?
- What pharmacologic treatment is used first line for Irving for the treatment of osteoporosis (be sure to include, at a minimum, drug name, dose, route, frequency)? What other treatment options exist? Why did you choose your treatment option over other available options (if applicable)?
- What is the mechanism of action of the first line regimen selected discussed in #2? How does the mechanism of action correlate with the physiology/pathophysiology of osteoporosis?
- What are the most common adverse effects of the pharmacologic agents discussed in #2?
- What is the cost of the first line regimen selected discussed in #2?
- Discuss pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the first line regimen selected discussed in #2? (be sure to include, at a minimum, onset, peak, duration, half-life, etc).