Menopause Case Study
Ruth Olson, a 74 year old female admits that she went through menopause 20 years ago. She is here today to discuss hormone replacement therapy (HRT) with you.
- What are non-pharmacologic treatment strategies for the management of menopause?
- What pharmacologic treatment is used first line for a patient with menopause (be sure to include, at a minimum, drug name, dose, route, frequency)? What other treatment options exist? Why did you choose your treatment option over other available options (if applicable)? Is treatment with HRT indicated for Ruth today?
- What is the mechanism of action of EACH pharmacologic agent in #2? How does the mechanism of action of EACH medication correlate with the physiology/pathophysiology of menopause?
- What are the most common adverse effects of EACH selected medication in #2?
- What is the cost of EACH selected treatment option in #2?
- Discuss pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of EACH selected pharmacologic agent from #2 (be sure to include, at a minimum, onset, peak, duration, half-life, etc).
- What education would you provide Ruth for the first line treatment discussed in #2?