Advance Care Planning
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered. For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned and complete your participation for this assignment by Day 7. To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use resources from the South University Online Library.
As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format. Support your work, using your course lectures and textbook readings. Helpful APA guides and resources are available in the South University Online Library. Below are guides that are located in the library and can be accessed and downloaded via the South University Online Citation Resources: APA Style page. The American Psychological Association website also provides detailed guidance on formatting, citations, and references at APA Style.â€¢ APA Citation Helperâ€¢ APA Citations Quick Sheet â€¢ APA-Style Formatting Guidelines for a Written Essayâ€¢ Basic Essay Template
Begin reviewing and replying to peer postings/responses early in the week to enhance peer discussion. See the rubric for participation points. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing viewpoints with a rationale, challenging aspects of the discussion, or indicating relationships between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Always use constructive language, even in criticism, to work toward the goal of positive progress.
Post your initial response to one of the two topics below.
Advance Care Planning and Analysis
Read the section titled “Reflective Practice: Pants on Fire” from the chapter “Health Policy, Politics, and Professional Ethics” and address the questions below.
- How do you judge Palin’s quote below, as an effective strategy to oppose Democrats’ plans for health care reform or unethical scaremongering?
- “And who will suffer the most when they ration care? The sick, the elderly, and the disabled, of course. The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama’s death panel so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their level of productivity in society, whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil.”
- Reflect on what informs your judgment: commitment to advance care planning, analysis of facts, and/or political party loyalties?
- Is it right for nurses to endorse health reform legislation even if the legislation is not perfect?
- Does this apply to the recently failed American Health Care Act?